6 Undeniable Signs that You Need to Waterproof Your Basement
- Mold or mildew: Musty odors, dampness, and visible mold or mildew are all signs of too much moisture in your basement. While a small amount of humidity is normal, too much can lead to serious problems like wood rot, structural damage, and even health risks.
- Outside water: Most houses are built with some kind of slope, or grading, around them. However, this grading can change over time due to things like erosion or the settling of the ground. When this happens, water can start to pool around the house instead of running away from it and lead to flooding in the basement.
- Rust formation: Rust is a type of corrosion that occurs when iron or steel is exposed to moisture and oxygen. Over time, rust can weaken metal surfaces and cause them to break down. Rust formation is a particular concern in basements, where it can quickly spread throughout the structure.
- Water seeping: Water seeping through the cracks in your basement walls or floors can damage your belongings, pose a serious health risk, weaken the structure of your home and lead to cracks, leaks, and even collapsed ceilings.
- Water stains: Water stains on the walls or floors are usually caused by water seeping through cracks in the walls or floor and can be a sign of serious water damage.
Efflorescence: Efflorescence is a white powdery substance that you may see on the walls or floors of your basement. It’s caused by water seeping through concrete pores and is another clear sign that you need to waterproof your basement.