While inspecting the house, you see cracks in the foundation and are unsure what to make of them. A panic attack starts to set in as you wonder if your house is going to collapse. You look for more cracks and start to see them everywhere, even in the walls and ceiling.
But don’t worry, even in the worst of scenarios, most foundation problems can be repaired, but it’s important to catch them early. Otherwise, you could be facing a much larger repair bill. This blog post will go over the common warning signs of foundation problems so that you can catch them and avoid a disaster. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is A Problem Foundation?
The foundation is the part of your house that sits on the ground and supports the rest of the structure. The weight of your house is transferred to the soil through the foundation. The soil around your foundation can shift, settle, or erode over time, which can cause cracks or other damage to your foundation.
Now that we know what a problem foundation is, let’s go over the common warning signs so that you can catch them early.
6 Common Signs Of Foundation Problems
1. Interior Sheetroots Cracks: Small cracks in your drywall, also called sheetrock, are often the first sign that something is wrong with your foundation. These cracks are usually vertical or horizontal and will get larger over time.
2. Exterior Brick Cracks: Another early warning sign of a problem is cracking in your home’s brick exterior. These can be caused by settling or expansion and contraction from temperature changes.
3. Doors & Windows That Stick: If you’ve noticed that your doors or windows are sticking or hard to open, it could be a sign that your foundation is settling and causing the frame to warp.
4. Gaps Around Your Chimney: If you have a fireplace, look at the area where the chimney meets your roof. Look for any gaps or cracks, as this could indicate that your chimney is pulling away from the rest of the house.
5. Water in Your Basement: One of the most obvious signs of a problem with your foundation is water in the basement. This could be due to some factors, including cracks in the foundation that allow water to seep.
6. Bouncing Floor: If you feel like your floors are bouncing or sagging, it’s a sign that the support beams are no longer level. The settling of the foundation usually causes this. If you’ve noticed any of these signs in your home, you must call a foundation repair professional as soon as possible.
What To Do If You Notice Signs Of Foundation Problems
If you’ve noticed any of the above signs in your home, the first step is to call a foundation repair professional. A waterproofing company will be able to tell you if your foundation needs to be repaired and how to go about doing it.
Get The Help Of A Professional!
If you’ve noticed any common warning signs of foundation problems in your home, it’s important to call a professional immediately. Tuck’s Waterproofing is here to help with your foundation repair needs. We are experts in basement waterproofing and can help you get your house back on solid ground.
We have years of experience and are ready to help you with your problem. We offer a free inspection so that we can assess the damage and come up with the best solution for your home. Stop looking for basement waterproofing near me, and give us a call today!